Sunday, June 8, 2014

Garage Cabinets: Fresh, New Look

Cabinet painting and install was an exciting step.  It meant that the garage storage would finally move back out of the house and into the garage where it belonged.  And it meant that the not quite as fun steps of demolition, drywall, paint, electrical and floor epoxy were all complete!  It took about 4 months to get to this point.  Those pesky day jobs sure get in the way of DIY projects...

But, on to the cabinets.  Our walls were painted "Glidden: Creamy Buttermilk"' and we opted for "Dunn Edwards - Ever Green" for our cabinets and future barn doors. 

We had a jumble of old cabinets from previous garages.  A fresh coat of paint, while tedious, gave them a whole new look!  Now, in retrospect, it might not be as smart of a move.  These cabinets are standard melamine and paint has a tough time sticking on them.  If they'd been real wood or metal cabinets, I think it would have been much easier.  And now when you bang up against them with something you're almost guaranteed to leave a mark.  Not quite as practical for a garage.  So, that was a learning lesson.  But, here's the process we went through.

First we dismantled the cabinets and began our painting.  If I did it again I'd skip painting the insides.  Since there's handles on the cabinet, we have less chance of scraping the outside once painted. And it's a time saver!



Then came the fun of installing them.  We installed them pretty high because we wanted storage of heavy stuff underneath.  Here's Aaron trying to get some leverage for screwing in the cabinets.


We had bought a butcher block countertop from IKEA and gave the old cabinets/workbench a whole new look.
Old workbench/counter




And here's the new cabinets (more to come on the pegboard)!




1 comment:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete